Lost Passport? Stolen Passport? Find Out How To Replace Them Here!

There’s nothing worse than having a stolen or lost passport while you’'re overseas having the trip of a lifetime. Here are a few tips on what do to if this happens to you, and how to make the process of replacing it as quick and painless as possible.

The first thing you should do if you lose your passport or you have a stolen passport is to report it immediately to your nearest consulate or embassy. You should also report it to the local police. Your government will then cancel your passport to ensure it is not used for identity theft.

If you are travelling back to your home country soon, some governments can issue you with travel papers to enter your country so you can apply for a replacement passport when you get home. Some governments (such as New Zealand), can also issue an Emergency Travel Document. Replacing a stolen or lost passport can take up to two weeks, although some governments can speed up the process. See our expedited passport and emergency passport emergency passport page for details.

If you wish to remain in the country that you are in, or travel onward to another country, you will have to replace your stolen passport or lost passport. Embassies/consulates require some or all of the following documents for this process:

  • Proof of Identity
  • Several passport photos
  • A completed lost passport/stolen passport form
  • A fee
  • A police report to prove that the passport has been stolen
  • A witness to confirm your identity (can be a friend or family member)

An Ancient Amphitheatre in Turkey

Lost-Passport- Ancient Amphitheatre
The best thing you can do to save hassle in the case of a lost or stolen passport is to have a copy of your passport with you at all times. We recommend not only keeping a photocopy of your passport in your bag, but also scanning or taking a photo including the data page and emailing it to yourself. This can save you a lot of time and stress when trying to replace a lost or stolen passport.
The Australian and USA governments are the only governments to have an online system to report a lost or stolen passport. You can even organize a new passport online! Follow the link below if you are an Australian or American with a lost or stolen passport.

United States of America

› Lost or Stolen Passport

Popular Pages

Winter Clothing Tips